I did not watch the Combine. I saw a few tweets about certain players like Lamar Jackson (who is a QUARTERBACK) and Shaquille Griffin (who is a DEFENSIVE BEAST) among others. Other than that, nope. The Combine is just fucking weird. I go to the gym and see people work out. Because people work out there and I am also there to work out. I would never watch those people work out on TV so there’s no way I would do the same for football players. I get the idea behind it but a guy going up and down a draft board because of his speed in the 40 is ridiculous. How often does someone go 40 yards, untouched, and in a straight line? Maybe a few times a season? Anyway, it’s bizarre.
What the Combine does do is allow me to do a Mock Draft V.3. since there would have been some movement afterwards because GMs and Assistant GMs and scouts need something to do. So here’s the next iteration of the mock draft followed by some random info:
- Gone to two rounds! I would say it means double the chances to get things wrong but that’s a lie. It easily quadruples it. Which makes me on par with Mel Kiper.
- I can’t see the Giants passing on Barkley now. This means the Browns lose the opportunity to get a top QB and THE top RB in the first four picks. It means, chances are, their pick at running back will come later in the draft (which I have them doing on their second 2nd round pick).
- This may now work out great for the Broncos. They just got Case Keenum so whoever they draft at QB can at least sit and watch and be mentored for a season, which we know is definitely the way to go (most of the time). See Rodgers, Aaron.
- I don’t put trades in at all. I know they will happen but it’s difficult enough to pick two rounds of the draft let alone throw in trades. But something tells me the Bills, after trading Tyrod Taylor to the Browns, will be moving up in the draft to get a QB. As of right now I have them getting Mason Rudolph (which isn’t a bad pick at all) but they could move up to get one of Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield.
- Both Edmunds boys (Tremaine and Terrell) I expect to go in the first two rounds. That should change I am sure since mock drafts, I realize once again, are a fool’s game.
- Yes the Saints just signed Drew Brees again. But Lamar Jackson would do well to go there, watch a pocket passer like Drew who throws the ball approximately nine thousand times a game, and mesh that with his ridiculous athleticism. This guy could very well be Michael Vick 2.0…without the bad shit.
So there you go. Another mock draft. Impressed, right? Yeah, I’m not that impressed either. And I still can’t believe the draft is like a month-and-a-half away. Didn’t it always used to be early March/late April? A quick online tells me the last time it was even as early as mid-April was the 2000 draft. I must be hallucinating then.
Hey, remember my “I will try to post once a week” comment? Yeah that got flushed down the toilet. What else can I talk about without sounding like I am forcibly creating a post for no other reason than to create a post. I will have at least one more mock draft…maybe two. And perhaps another What-if post since they are SO popular (as in I assume they aren’t popular at all). Other than that? Crickets.
I am working on the college schedule now that it is out. Mapping it out and such. It takes a while so I never do more than a bit at a time because even I would get bored with it. Once the draft is upon us, I should start getting back into things. So let’s consider this a season finale of sorts. Like on TV. Except way worse. Enjoy your week everyone!