We’ve played this game before. Meaning I’ve played this game before. Hell, last year I am sure I changed about 40 teams around from my bowl projections that were done THE NIGHT BEFORE. Which is fine. Makes Selection Sunday more intriguing. Unfortunately I will be in and out of the house that day so updating could be very interesting. I will try to keep up as best I can. Anyway, let’s get to the current bowl projections from moi.
|Sugar Bowl||CFP Poll #1 vs. CFP Poll #4||Clemson vs. Wisconsin|
|Rose Bowl||CFP Poll #2 vs. CFP Poll #3||Oklahoma vs. Georgia|
Remember this is how I feel the FINAL bowl games will look like that. Three of these are easy: Clemson, Oklahoma and Wisconsin to all win their respective conference championships. I think Georgia will get revenge on Auburn and win the SEC Championship. So yes, no Bama. To be honest, unless Oklahoma loses, I don’t see a scenario where the Tide should be included in the CFP. If Miami beats Clemson they are in (in my opinion). If Ohio State beats Wisconsin they are in (in my opinion). So there you go. Watch all four of my picks lose and we have another mini-round of chaos before The Committee tries desperately to not drink themselves to death over this.
And again, this affects the next set of picks which are the New Year’s Six selections.
|Peach Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||Auburn vs. Memphis|
|Orange Bowl||ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame||Miami vs. Alabama|
|Fiesta Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||USC vs. Ohio State|
|Cotton Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||Washington vs. Penn State|
I still think Memphis is winning the American. Basically here, the conversation comes down to Washington, Notre Dame, and Penn State for the final two spots (since I believe USC will win the Pac-12 title). I think Washington’s win over Washington State will put it just above the Irish and Notre Dame’s two losses were pretty bad compared to Penn State’s losses. Again, watch The Committee put in Notre Dame and TCU and screw all my picks up.
Alright time for the car wreck portion of our show, it’s the rest of the bowls and how they will play out.
|Citrus Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC||LSU vs. Northwestern|
|Outback Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten||Mississippi State vs. Michigan State|
|Liberty Bowl||SEC vs. Big XII/American||Missouri vs. West Virginia|
|TaxSlayer Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC||South Carolina vs. Michigan|
|Arizona Bowl||MWC vs. Sun Belt||Wyoming vs. Arkansas State|
|Music City Bowl||SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten||Kentucky vs. Virginia Tech|
|Sun Bowl||Pac-12 vs. ACC||Arizona State vs. Louisville|
|Belk Bowl||SEC vs. ACC||Utah* vs. NC State|
|Alamo Bowl||Pac-12 vs. Big XII||Washington State vs. TCU|
|Holiday Bowl||Big Ten vs. Pac-12||Iowa vs. Stanford|
|Camping World Bowl||Big XII vs. ACC||Iowa State vs. Notre Dame|
|Military Bowl||ACC vs. American||Virginia vs. UCF|
|Texas Bowl||SEC vs. Big XII||Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State|
|Foster Farms Bowl||Big Ten vs. Pac-12||Purdue vs. UCLA|
|Pinstripe Bowl||Big Ten vs. ACC||Texas Tech* vs. Boston College|
|Independence Bowl||SEC/Conference USA vs. ACC/American||Florida Atlantic vs. Florida State|
|Cactus Bowl||Pac-12/MWC vs. Big XII/MWC||Oregon vs. Kansas State|
|Quick Lane Bowl||Big Ten/MAC vs. ACC/MAC||Toledo vs. Duke|
|Heart of Dallas Bowl||Big XII vs. Big Ten||Texas vs. UTSA*|
|Hawaii Bowl||MWC vs. American||Fresno State vs. Houston|
|Dollar General Bowl||MAC vs. Sun Belt||Northern Illinois vs. Troy|
|Armed Forces Bowl||Army vs. Conference USA||Army vs. Southern Miss|
|Birmingham Bowl||SEC/ACC vs. American/ACC||Wake Forest vs. USF|
|Idaho Potato Bowl||MWC vs. MAC||Colorado State vs. Central Michigan|
|Bahamas Bowl||Conference USA vs. MAC||UAB vs. Ohio
|Gasparilla Bowl||Conference USA/ACC vs. American/ACC||Western Kentucky vs. Navy|
|Frisco Bowl||American vs. Sun Belt||SMU vs. Appalachian State|
|Boca Raton Bowl||American vs. Conference USA||Temple vs. Middle Tennessee|
|Camellia Bowl||MAC vs. Sun Belt||Akron vs. Georgia State|
|New Mexico Bowl||MWC vs. Conference USA||San Diego State vs. North Texas|
|Las Vegas Bowl||Pac-12 vs. MWC||Arizona vs. Boise State|
|Cure Bowl||American vs. Sun Belt||Buffalo* vs. Marshall*|
|New Orleans Bowl||Conference USA vs. Sun Belt||FIU vs. UL-Lafayette|
A few notes on this:
- Well that was quite the change. I believe I kept three bowl games the same. Yikes. There were probably a few I didn’t have to change but once I got going I couldn’t stop!
- The SEC won’t even be able to fill their primary tie-ins with one bowl left out of the mix. I have a feeling it could be the Belk Bowl but any one of the Outback, Liberty, TaxSlayer, Music City, Texas, and aforementioned Belk Bowls could lose an SEC team which may hamper attendance depending on who they invite instead.
- Because of passport issues, the Bahamas Bowl always selects their teams a week or so in advance. This year, Ohio and UAB are invited to play there. Good for UAB. They get a national platform game. Unfortunately it’s on a Friday at 12:30. That is something I hate about bowl season.
- Texas-UTSA still in play but I have moved it down to the Heart of Dallas Bowl. I honestly think they would get way more people in attendance with this than with a Big XII team playing a Big Ten team.
- As of right now I have the Cure Bowl not getting either of their tie-ins. This is where I believe tie-ins are a problem. Not having at-large bids hurts some of these bowl games because now they are usually having to pick from the teams left over. In this case it was Buffalo and Marshall.
- Three 6-6 teams could be out (according to my projections). Right now they would be Utah State, Western Michigan, and Louisiana Tech.
- Notre Dame gets into the ACC bowl tie-in mix as long as they have at least one more win than a team they would replace. Which they easily will. It’s almost certain the Camping World Bowl, which gets the top ACC pick not in the CFP or NY6, would at least reach out to the Irish to see if they would want to play there. Having them play Iowa State (as you see above) could be a good get.
- UL-Lafayette still has to win to get in as does Florida State this coming weekend. Same thing with New Mexico State but I don’t think they will win. If they do, it’s four teams that would be out. Crazy.
Well now we have to wait for college football. Or football of any kind. Thursday Night Football of course on Thursday and then the Pac-12 Championship on Friday night…at 5:00 local time in Santa Clara. That stadium is going to be half empty.
Enjoy the rest of your week everyone!