This post…oh this post. It’s gonna be long.
Instead of doing a full recap and then a full bowl projections post, I figured I would combine them into one insanely long post! Why? Probably because this past weekend was not that great as far as college football weekends go. The top ten teams all won. The only real “upset” (if you could call it that) was Kansas State beating Oklahoma State. That’s it. So nothing would have even changed in the rankings. Also, I figured with the 35-year anniversary of The Play, I would do something not seen before really…at least on this blog.
So I decided, let’s take a different slant with this. Not a recap. It’s a bit of both past and present. Let’s start with how the conference championships are shaping up.
Haha, just kidding. The Sun Belt starts their conference championship next year…with divisions of five. OK then.
Raise your hand if you had Florida Atlantic and North Texas playing in the Conference USA championship. Put your hands down! No one thought this. What does this mean? Lane Kiffin is gonna get PAID next year…and not by FAU if you didn’t catch my drift there.
The MAC title tilt isn’t set yet. In the West, Toledo holds the tiebreaker over Northern Illinois so a Rockets win over Western Michigan means they play for all the marbles. The Huskies need a win and a Toledo loss to go to Detroit.
In the East, Akron has a chance to wrap up the division tomorrow night during MACtion. Win and they play for the conference title. Lose and Ohio has a chance to clinch on Black Friday.
Boise State is in the championship. Ho hum. Fresno State is in the championship. OK that is something. They had been pretty bad for a couple years. Jeff Tedford has done a masterful job in northern California.
Memphis is already in the championship awaiting the winner of the War on I-4. UCF-USF winner plays the Tigers probably for the New Year’s Six spot.
It has felt like this has been set for weeks but Clemson faces Miami. The U finally gets to the ACC Championship for the first time since they joined the conference. Yeah, definitely what the conference was thinking when they invited them AND put them in the opposite division of Florida State.
Oklahoma has already clinched their spot in the Big XII Championship. Who will they face? TCU is almost a shoo-in to go. The only team that could possibly catch them? Iowa State of all teams. A Horned Frogs loss coupled with a Cyclones win would put ISU in the spot of being the spoiler of all spoilers.
USC is locked in for the, uh, Friday night affair in Santa Clara starting at 5 local time? Yeah this will go well. Anyway, Washington State holds all the cards in the North. Win the Apple Cup and go to the Pac-12 title game. Lose and Stanford, who has completed their conference schedule, will go instead.
Ohio State and Wisconsin are locked into this game. It looks like tOSU could play spoiler here with a win.
Georgia won the East which doesn’t seem like a big deal this year. The Iron Bowl will determine the other participant.
So there you go. Later on in the week I will do the normal massive American Thanksgiving weekend post and discuss all this and much more and which games are important and which games, quite frankly, aren’t.
Alright, on to my bowl projections as of this morning:
|Sugar Bowl||CFP Poll #1 vs. CFP Poll #4||Alabama vs. Wisconsin|
|Rose Bowl||CFP Poll #2 vs. CFP Poll #3||Clemson vs. Oklahoma|
No changes here. I did switch Clemson and Oklahoma in terms of rankings because I think a Clemson win over Miami would keep them ahead of the Sooners. Otherwise, nothing happened to this over the past weekend. A lot COULD happen this coming weekend but that’s a different story.
Let us see if the New Year’s Six has also remained unchanged? (Full disclosure: kept this in from last post verbatim)
|Peach Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||Georgia vs. Memphis|
|Orange Bowl||ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame||Miami vs. Penn State|
|Fiesta Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||USC vs. Auburn|
|Cotton Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||Washington vs. TCU|
All the same teams, except for one. I have TCU instead of Oklahoma State now. I just think they wouldn’t fall far enough even with a potential Big XII loss to Oklahoma. A few changes in who plays who but everyone else is still there. And yes, I still believe Memphis will beat the UCF/USF winner to get the New Year’s Six spot.
And of course now the rest of the bowl projections which is always a shitshow, nowadays more than ever.
|Citrus Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC||LSU vs. Notre Dame|
|Outback Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten||South Carolina vs. Ohio State|
|Liberty Bowl||SEC vs. Big XII/American||Kentucky vs. Iowa State|
|TaxSlayer Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC||Mississippi State vs. Michigan State|
|Arizona Bowl||MWC vs. Sun Belt||Wyoming vs. Arkansas State|
|Music City Bowl||SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten||Missouri vs. Louisville|
|Sun Bowl||Pac-12 vs. ACC||Arizona State vs. Wake Forest|
|Belk Bowl||SEC vs. ACC||Utah* vs. NC State|
|Alamo Bowl||Pac-12 vs. Big XII||Washington State vs. Texas|
|Holiday Bowl||Big Ten vs. Pac-12||Northwestern vs. Stanford|
|Camping World Bowl||Big XII vs. ACC||West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech|
|Military Bowl||ACC vs. American||Virginia vs. UCF|
|Texas Bowl||SEC vs. Big XII||Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State|
|Foster Farms Bowl||Big Ten vs. Pac-12||Iowa vs. Oregon|
|Pinstripe Bowl||Big Ten vs. ACC||Michigan vs. Boston College|
|Independence Bowl||SEC/Conference USA vs. ACC/American||UAB vs. Western Michigan*|
|Cactus Bowl||Pac-12/MWC vs. Big XII/MWC||UCLA vs. Colorado State|
|Quick Lane Bowl||Big Ten/MAC vs. ACC/MAC||Toledo vs. Middle Tennessee*|
|Heart of Dallas Bowl||Big XII vs. Big Ten||Kansas State vs. Indiana|
|Hawaii Bowl||MWC vs. American||Fresno State vs. Houston|
|Dollar General Bowl||MAC vs. Sun Belt||Northern Illinois vs. Troy|
|Armed Forces Bowl||Army vs. Conference USA||Army vs. Western Kentucky|
|Birmingham Bowl||SEC/ACC vs. American/ACC||FIU* vs. at-large 5-7 APR Champ|
|Idaho Potato Bowl||MWC vs. MAC||Utah State vs. Ohio|
|Bahamas Bowl||Conference USA vs. MAC||North Texas vs. Akron|
|Gasparilla Bowl||Conference USA/ACC vs. American/ACC||Florida Atlantic vs. USF|
|Frisco Bowl||American vs. Sun Belt||SMU vs. Appalachian State|
|Boca Raton Bowl||American vs. Conference USA||Temple vs. Marshall|
|Camellia Bowl||MAC vs. Sun Belt||Central Michigan vs. UTSA*|
|New Mexico Bowl||MWC vs. Conference USA||San Diego State vs. Southern Miss|
|Las Vegas Bowl||Pac-12 vs. MWC||Arizona vs. Boise State|
|Cure Bowl||American vs. Sun Belt||Navy vs. Georgia State|
|New Orleans Bowl||Conference USA vs. Sun Belt||Louisiana Tech vs. UL-Lafayette|
A few notes for your perusal:
- I still have one 5-7 team going in. I am not delving into the APR rankings yet so I don’t know who that would be at this point.
- I really seemed to mix things up here which is odd because not a whole lot of note happened. But the few changes from my expected winners created quite the domino effect. In the end it won’t matter since a few of the tie-ins won’t even be followed. So why have them in the first place to this extent?
- Army is still the only team locked into a bowl game. This is good and should stay this way at least until the evening of Conference Championship week. I hope I didn’t just jinx it.
Other than those few items, not much to talk about specifically about the bowl projections. It honestly felt like a bit of a week off. That will change very quickly come tomorrow night! Kent State-Akron is on the specialty pack tomorrow night at 7:00. Then Wednesday, brace yourselves…there is no football. I know, I know. Calm down. We will need the breather thanks to the footballgasm of American Thanksgiving! I might post the college schedule Wednesday but we shall see if time permits.
A few other odds and ends from both the pros and college level:
- Baker Mayfield couldn’t get a handshake from the Kansas players at the start of the game. Oh well. Kansas is a basketball school. Anyway, Baker had a fit after a TD in the third quarter and told the Kansas bench to fuck off or suck his dick or something and then grabbed his crotch. A non-story but it isn’t because Mayfield is expected to win the Heisman. Once he hits the NFL, no one will care.
- How about them Bills? Nathan fucking Peterman? Yep, this is the yearly implosion we all expect. Worst part? They are STILL tied for the final Wild Card spot in the AFC. That’s how bad the AFC is. It’s like the CFL Eastern Division, NBA Eastern Conference, or SEC Eastern Division: vastly inferior to the other half of the equation (except for one or two teams).
- And the Bills play the Chiefs next week in a game where the winner will finally get off the slide and the loser…well who knows but it turns into another possible lost season, especially if it’s the Bills who lose.
- Speaking of the AFC, will anyone catch the Steelers or Patriots? Maybe the Jags but after that it falls off a cliff. Quite sad really.
- Speaking of the NFL, finally we can start getting into some important football so that the action on the field may actually overshadow the off-the-field bullshit. I hope I didn’t jinx it.
- How about the CFL? I don’t know if I want the Argos to win the Grey Cup or not. On one hand, them winning would show how much the CFL has fallen in recent years. To have a team that can’t even sell out a playoff game win your league’s championship can’t be good. On the other hand, the CFL would just twist the narrative to say that the Argos are back or some shit.
- Hey did you watch the USports semi-finals? I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t. Western scored EIGHTY-ONE FUCKING POINTS IN A NATIONAL SEMI-FINAL! What a joke.
Alright that’s about enough of this. Hoping to post on Wednesday as I mentioned but we shall see. Either way you will get a big college football schedule post later in the week.