Yep we have come to that part of the season where most bowl projections out there on the Internet at least have some substance to them. They make a lot of sense or they have data that can back them up. This also means most of the projections are close to the same since that is what happens as November motors on in college football. So let’s go to those projections shall we?
|Sugar Bowl||CFP Poll #1 vs. CFP Poll #4||Alabama vs. Wisconsin|
|Rose Bowl||CFP Poll #2 vs. CFP Poll #3||Oklahoma vs. Clemson|
Should I completely copy what I had last time? My top four has not changed. This coming week it’s Wisconsin that has the greatest chance of falling. And I am sure The Committee will punish them if they lose. You know because it’s their fault that the Big Ten West (outside of them, Northwestern in overtime games and Iowa at home) is terrible this season. I still expect them to completely win out and still be given the #4 spot because strength of schedule is an issue whether it’s their fault or not (it really isn’t in this case).
Let us see if the New Year’s Six has also remained unchanged?
|Peach Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||Auburn vs. Memphis|
|Orange Bowl||ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame||Miami vs. Georgia|
|Fiesta Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||USC vs. Penn State|
|Cotton Bowl||CFP At-Large vs. CFP At-Large||Washington vs. Oklahoma State|
Nope. Same thing. Wow, this is one of the easiest posts I’ve ever done! I still believe Memphis will upend either USF or UCF in the AAC Championship/CFP Quarter-Final. I am glad they put the War on I-4 on in the afternoon on ABC nationally on Black Friday. Good choice. And well deserved. That stadium better be fucking PACKED for that one.
And now to the rest of the bowl games where, in some cases, it really does start to fall apart.
|Citrus Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC||LSU vs. Michigan State|
|Outback Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten||South Carolina vs. Ohio State|
|Liberty Bowl||SEC vs. Big XII/American||Mississippi State vs. West Virginia|
|TaxSlayer Bowl||SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC||Kentucky vs. Northwestern|
|Arizona Bowl||MWC vs. Sun Belt||San Diego State vs. Arkansas State|
|Music City Bowl||SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten||Texas A&M vs. Virginia Tech|
|Sun Bowl||Pac-12 vs. ACC||Arizona vs. NC State|
|Belk Bowl||SEC vs. ACC||Utah* vs. Louisville|
|Alamo Bowl||Pac-12 vs. Big XII||Washington State vs. TCU|
|Holiday Bowl||Big Ten vs. Pac-12||Michigan vs. Stanford|
|Camping World Bowl||Big XII vs. ACC||Iowa State vs. Notre Dame|
|Military Bowl||ACC vs. American||Boston College vs. UCF|
|Texas Bowl||SEC vs. Big XII||UTSA* vs. Texas|
|Foster Farms Bowl||Big Ten vs. Pac-12||Iowa vs. Arizona State|
|Pinstripe Bowl||Big Ten vs. ACC||Minnesota* vs. Wake Forest|
|Independence Bowl||SEC/Conference USA vs. ACC/American||Florida Atlantic vs. Georgia Tech|
|Cactus Bowl||Pac-12/MWC vs. Big XII/MWC||Oregon vs. Colorado State|
|Quick Lane Bowl||Big Ten/MAC vs. ACC/MAC||Toledo vs. FIU*|
|Heart of Dallas Bowl||Big XII vs. Big Ten||Kansas State vs. Indiana|
|Hawaii Bowl||MWC vs. American||Fresno State vs. Houston|
|Dollar General Bowl||MAC vs. Sun Belt||Ohio vs. Appalachian State|
|Armed Forces Bowl||Army vs. Conference USA||Army vs. UAB|
|Birmingham Bowl||SEC/ACC vs. American/ACC||Virginia vs. USF|
|Idaho Potato Bowl||MWC vs. MAC||Wyoming vs. Akron|
|Bahamas Bowl||Conference USA vs. MAC||Western Kentucky vs. Northern Illinois|
|Gasparilla Bowl||Conference USA/ACC vs. American/ACC||North Texas vs. Temple|
|Frisco Bowl||American vs. Sun Belt||SMU vs. Troy|
|Boca Raton Bowl||American vs. Conference USA||Navy vs. Marshall|
|Camellia Bowl||MAC vs. Sun Belt||Western Michigan vs. UL-Lafayette|
|New Mexico Bowl||MWC vs. Conference USA||Utah State vs. Southern Miss|
|Las Vegas Bowl||Pac-12 vs. MWC||UCLA vs. San Diego State|
|Cure Bowl||American vs. Sun Belt||Central Michigan* vs. Georgia State|
|New Orleans Bowl||Conference USA vs. Sun Belt||Middle Tennessee vs. Louisiana Tech*|
A few notes on this:
- I went from three bowl-eligible teams missing out on the fun to one 5-7 team having to be included. And that team is Minnesota.
- The SEC is a mess beyond Alabama, Georgia and Auburn. Not enough teams to make the tie-ins work. I have also finally put the Volunteers out of their misery. And Florida is out. But Florida will also eliminate Florida State (in my opinion) making that last game against ULM one of the saddest in Tallahassee history.
- The Fighting Kiffins of Florida Atlantic University will get their shot against the big boys as they would face Georgia Tech in Shreveport. I still believe all the G-5 conference champs should be put in bowls against Power Five teams. That should be their reward. For most of those conferences the reward for winning your conference is a trophy and a banner and not a whole lot else.
- I think we will still have an all-Texas Texas Bowl…but it will be Texas facing UTSA, not Texas A&M thanks to the SEC’s mediocrity.
- Utah now goes to Belk Bowl thanks to the mess stated above in the SEC.
- It would be hilarious if Florida Atlantic was somehow picked to go to the Quick Lane Bowl. Just sayin’.
- Feel good story is easily UAB going back to a bowl game. And for sure they will not be left out like they were the year they disbanded the team.
- The Sun Belt and American are the other conferences that may end up struggling with their bowl tie-ins as you can see above. I’m telling you, I already fixed this for you guys. WHY DON’T YOU LISTEN?
MACtion time tonight! And MACtion time tomorrow night! I like it (and many viewers like it) even if the fans don’t. That’s where the problem comes in. Anyway, both MAC games appear on the specialty pack tonight. Tomorrow night we have two on the specialty pack and one on CBS Sports Network. So we are still in the “football every day” mode and will be until next Wednesday: the only day through November 26th without football. What will we do?
UPDATE: Western Michigan-Northern Illinois will not appear on the specialty pack Wednesday night. It has been moved to TSN1, TSN3 and TSN4 starting at 7:00.
Same old same old later this week. Kind-of-bad-but-I-will-still-watch college football TV schedule post on Thursday. NFL schedule post on Friday. Enjoy the games everyone!