And I mean VERY quick. There isn’t much going on tonight and tomorrow. A couple of FCS playoff games, the Army-Navy game, and the Heisman trophy presentation.
Here’s the sked, then some tasty morsels afterwards:
|Friday||Sam Houston State at James Madison||7:00 PM||ESPN2||SP|
|Saturday||South Dakota State at North Dakota State||12:00 PM||ESPN||SP|
|Saturday||Army vs. Navy (in Baltimore)||3:00 PM||CBS||CBS|
Yes we are getting the Heisman Trophy presentation. TSN has four channels of the MLS Cup (which is big I understand) but it’s the other one (TSN2) that is the issue. According to the TSN website, the Heisman Trophy presentation is on at 8:00 Saturday night on TSN2. On other guide sites though (including looking at my own Bell Fibe guide this morning), it said it was UFC at 8:00. My guess is by tonight all the guides will show the Heisman Trophy presentation on TSN2. I am not going to say that 100% though since I know what can happen when I do that.
UPDATE: No Heisman Trophy presentation for us. UFC is in Toronto tonight and gets the nod on TSN2. If it wasn’t for the MLS Cup on at the same time, the Heisman show would have appeared on at least one of the channels. Alas, you will have to find out who wins online (spoiler alert: it’s probably Lamar Jackson) or check at halftime of any college basketball games you might watch on the specialty pack. Sorry folks!
Army-Navy had the chance to be so big and so important. It is always a big game but if Navy was in line for the G-5 spot in the Cotton Bowl, there would have been a lot more eyeballs than usual on this game. Instead, many of us are actually pulling for Army since it would break a 14-game losing streak for the Black Knights. Also, it is the last college football game that will be called by Verne Lundquist so there is also that.
We may end up getting a third FCS playoff game on the specialty pack this weekend. Last year a replay was shown of one of the quarter-final matchups during primetime even though the game had been done for three hours. I don’t know why since I can’t see why anyone would watch a replay of an FCS game (hell, I didn’t even watch it). As of right now there is no sign of that.
ESPN’s College Bowl Mania show airs this Monday night at 7:00 and will go through all the bowls…hahaha, just kidding. 90% of the show will be about the College Football Playoff and the New Year’s Six and the other 10% will go to the other 34 bowls. Still could be an interesting watch. Yes, I am putting it on the PVR.
As for TSN’s bowl game schedule, I still don’t see it yet. The first few days are set but beyond that it is anyone’s guess. Hopefully it comes soon so I can post the schedule. I will do it next week anyway no matter what so I may have to guess on some.
I will also be doing the bowl rankings again and it’s time to bring back the UNCLE VERNE RANKING SYSTEM in honour of Verne Lundquist who, as I said earlier, is calling his last college football game on Saturday. Expect to see that next week. I will include my predictions as well in there.
We are in the home stretch people. I know people complain about the sheer amount of bowl games (I am one of them) coming up. But remember…after January 9th we have no college football for seven-and-a-half months (except for the odd college all-star game here and there). So yeah, drink it in because the struggle during those months is real DAMMIT! Enjoy the games tonight and tomorrow.