It took until Week 14 but the NFL has finally done it. All three of their primetime games are good games! Let us all rejoice!
OK enough rejoicing. I guess you could say they were able to do this a bit by accident considering the TNF and MNF schedules aren’t supposed to be that great. This week, on the other hand, we somehow got all three games being almost must-sees, especially since it is late in the season.
Let’s get to the schedule and I will discuss more in the briefing afterward:
|Oakland at Kansas City||Thursday, 8:30, NBC, Sportsnet|
|Pittsburgh at Buffalo||Buffalo, Rochester, Burlington, Boston||Northern Ontario, Kitchener, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Atlantic||CKPR, CHEX, CKWS|
|Denver at Tennessee||Seattle, Spokane||BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan||CITL|
|Houston at Indianapolis|
|Chicago at Detroit||Detroit|
|Cincinnati at Cleveland||Cleveland|
|Washington at Philadelphia||Tacoma, Seattle, Spokane|
|Minnesota at Jacksonville||Minneapolis||Winnipeg|
|San Diego at Carolina|
|Arizona at Miami||Rochester, Burlington, Boston||TSN1, TSN3, TSN4|
|NY Jets at San Francisco||Minneapolis||TSN1, TSN3, TSN4|
|Seattle at Green Bay||All affiliates||All affiliates (except Atlantic)||Atlantic||CKPR, CHEX, CKWS, CITL|
|New Orleans at Tampa Bay|
|Atlanta at Los Angeles|
|Dallas at NY Giants||Sunday, 8:30, NBC/TSN 1/4/5|
|Baltimore at New England||Monday, 8:30, TSN 1/3/4/5|
- Let’s start with the Thursday Night Football matchup shall we? Oakland visits Kansas City in what is arguably the game of the week. On THURSDAY NIGHT? What tomfoolery is this? Me thinks this was a bit of an accident and the NFL scheduler figured at least one (if not both) of these teams would end up being mediocre at best at this point of the season. But this will shape the AFC West picture (and the AFC playoff picture in total). A Raiders win almost clinches the division and perhaps the top spot in the conference which would be huge. A Chiefs win will make the division VERY interesting for the rest of the season.
- Now on to the Sunday Night Football affair. Dallas, a team that feels like it is on SNF every two weeks, goes to New York to play the Giants. Another huge matchup that may decide a division, the NFC East in this case. Much like the Raiders-Chiefs game, a win by the road team basically clinches the division. The Giants need to win to stay alive for the NFC East (and get a whole lot closer to a playoff berth).
- And then there was the Monday Night Football game. Usually a shitty matchup (see Colts-Jets just three days ago). This time we get the Ravens, who lead the AFC North (but barely) playing the Patriots (who lead the AFC East obviously). Another huge game? This almost feels too good to be true. Watch all three games be blowouts.
- Other than those three there are some other interesting matchups, now that we are coming down to crunch time and the playoffs (PLAYOFFS??!?!?!?) are right around the corner. The Steelers and Bills play arguably the biggest early game. Pittsburgh is tied with Baltimore for the AFC North lead but is behind on tiebreakers. They will want to keep pace. Also, if the Bills lose and both the Chiefs and Broncos win, that probably spells the end to the Bills playoff hopes.
- Seahawks-Packers is the late game almost everyone gets. It is a big game. But I believe the Saints-Bucs game is just as big. With Atlanta doing some big-time Falconing (again), the Saints and Buccaneers have opportunities to move to the forefront of the division.
- Finally, the NFL, with all these good games for once, is also punishing us. The late CBS game (and TSN game) is the Jets and Niners. Good fucking lord.
Yes, you will notice the ol’ switch-o-change-o between the NFL and college football schedule posts. I figured since the maps and times were up for the NFL and there was no college football game on Thursday, I might as well switch it. It really isn’t that big of a deal.
I will be back tomorrow with a college football schedule. I guess the bowl schedule and picks and rankings will have to wait until next week since TSN STILL does not have their whole bowl schedule up. I can be damn sure that they probably have the World Junior Hockey Championship schedule up. So just fill in the gaps! How hard can that be? Anyway, enjoy the game tonight!