Yeah that’s pretty much it. The Patriots could put in the guy in the upper deck who has already had five beers, one of those disgustingly long hot dogs, and probably a heaping helping of clam CHOWDAH at quarterback and they’d still win and probably cover the spread. Did you see what happened last night? Yeah, it felt like Alabama playing a D-II school at times. Tough to watch…if you were a Texans fan (do those exist?). We all know the Patriots are going to go 4-0 without Brady then somehow lose anywhere from three to five games with him under centre. No I don’t understand it either but I believe that’s the way the universe will unfold over the next few months.
Alright let’s get to the schedule this week and I will follow with some fun-time note-type observations:
UPDATE: As reader nationsacpital noticed, Pitt-Philly will not be on the air for people who get CBS out of Seattle because the Seahawks have a home game at the same time.
|Denver at Cincinnati||All affiliates (except Cleveland & Buffalo)||BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northern Ontario, Ottawa||CKPR, CHEX, CKWS, CITL|
|Cleveland at Miami|
|Oakland at Tennessee|
|Baltimore at Jacksonville|
|Washington at NY Giants||Burlington, Boston||Montreal, Atlantic|
|Arizona at Buffalo||Buffalo, Rochester||Kitchener, Toronto|
|Detroit at Green Bay||Detroit||TSN2|
|Minnesota at Carolina||Minneapolis||Winnipeg|
|Pittsburgh at Philadelphia||Spokane, Minneapolis, Detroit||All of Canada (except BC & Atlantic)||Atlantic||CKPR, CHEX, CKWS, CITL|
|NY Jets at Kansas City||Buffalo, Rochester, Burlington, Boston|
|San Diego at Indianapolis|
|San Francisco at Seattle||Tacoma, Seattle, Spokane||BC||TSN2|
|Los Angeles at Tampa Bay|
|Chicago at Dallas||Sunday, 8:30, NBC/TSN1/3/4/5|
|Atlanta at New Orleans||Monday, 8:30, TSN 1/3/4/5|
Fun-Time Note-Type Observations
- Denver-Cincinnati gets the lion’s share of Canadian eyeballs at the early spot. Makes sense since there is no other game consisting of two contenders out there unless you count an Adrian Peterson-less Vikings playing in Carolina.
- Five out of thirteen games won’t be shown here. I know this is why people get Sunday Ticket. I hate the reasoning behind people who don’t buy it. “But how can you watch seven games at once?” You don’t, dipshit. You pay for choice. Just like I do with the U.S. College Sports Package. Just like others do with MLB Extra Innings, NHL Centre Ice, etc. I get that some people think it’s a waste of money but that’s just your opinion. I do wish that there was a RedZone-type channel for college football though. I would TOTALLY get that.
- At least early on CTV has spread their games out across the country. Same can’t be said for the late games. Almost everyone gets Steelers-Eagles in Canada.
- I can understand the hype with these two affairs since there really hasn’t been many marquee matchups on Sunday afternoons so most affiliates cling to the best games knowing that much of the country will get the same games as well. Remember, it’s all about ratings and what people will care about in certain areas. I can be fairly certain a Rams-Bucs matchup makes no one want to watch.
- I have noticed that the Thursday Night Football package has been getting stronger now that CBS is involved. The Sunday Night Football package is obviously the flagship. This leaves Monday Night Football which has become largely unwatchable these days. Unless the game is close many tune out, myself included. It’s sad if you can remember the days when MNF was THE game to watch on any week to see what it has become.
Place Your Bets!
And do it on your own time and, if you’re smart, your own picks. I will give you mine knowing that you might have brain damage if you choose to replicate them with real money. You have been forewarned.
Cincinnati over Denver
Miami over Cleveland
Oakland over Tennessee
Jacksonville over Baltimore
NY Giants over Washington
Arizona over Buffalo
Green Bay over Detroit
Carolina over Minnesota
Pittsburgh over Philadelphia
NY Jets over Kansas City
Indianapolis over San Diego
Seattle over San Francisco
Tampa Bay over Los Angeles
Chicago over Dallas
New Orleans over Atlanta
A reminder that there is college football tonight. The Battle for the Iron Skillet which probably won’t be close and a game at Eastern Michigan that may attract 5,000 fans if they are lucky. So yeah, not a big slate tonight. Enjoy the games everyone!