And yes the Combine is creepy. Informative, yes. But there are too many grown men gawking at too many younger men and asking questions that I am sure range from mundane to way too personal. Like I care how many times a player has protein paste or how often a player moves his fingers or how often a player has to take a dump during the day. I think some scouts create as many questions as possible to make it so they can keep their jobs. Anyway, where were we?
Oh that’s right. It’s time for another Mel Kiper inspired mock draft. This is my second kick at the can. I am sure Kiper has done eighty of these things by now. Ridiculous. Then again, I can’t say a whole lot since a few of my picks drastically changed from my mock draft V1. So let’s get to the picks followed by some mediocre analysis:
|1||Tennessee||Laremy Tunsil, T, Ole Miss|
|2||Cleveland||Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State|
|3||San Diego||Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State|
|4||Dallas||Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State|
|5||Jacksonville||Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida|
|6||Baltimore||Myles Jack, LB, UCLA|
|7||San Francisco||Ronnie Stanley, T, Notre Dame|
|8||Miami||Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State|
|9||Tampa Bay||DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon|
|10||NY Giants||Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky|
|11||Chicago||Taylor Decker, T, Ohio State|
|12||New Orleans||Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson|
|13||Philadelphia||A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama|
|14||Oakland||Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis|
|15||Los Angeles||Jared Goff, QB, California|
|16||Detroit||Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss|
|17||Atlanta||Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson|
|18||Indianapolis||Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson|
|19||Buffalo||Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor|
|20||NY Jets||Leonard Floyd, LB, Georgia|
|21||Washington||Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama|
|22||Houston||Sheldon Rankins, DE, Louisville|
|23||Minnesota||Jack Conklin, T, Michigan State|
|24||Cincinnati||Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech|
|25||Pittsburgh||Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State|
|26||Seattle||Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor|
|27||Green Bay||Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame|
|28||Kansas City||Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford|
|29||Arizona||Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama|
|30||Carolina||Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State|
|31||Denver||Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State|
The Mediocre Analysis Part of our Show
- I finally succumbed to the QB-to-Cleveland hype and moved Carson Wentz up to the #2 spot. Really, I still believe there is very little separating Wentz and Jared Goff. With almost all other things being equal, Wentz has that quality of “knowing how to win” under his belt, leading North Dakota State to multiple titles whereas Goff has finally got Cal to be a bowl team from being terrible.
- Laremy Tunsil still seems to be somewhat of a lock at the top spot to the Titans. Most mock drafts seem to agree.
- Noah Spence has experienced a bit of a drop. Looking at many mocks, he has dropped in every one. His Combine performance was one of the worst. Again I don’t fully take stock in Combine performances but linemen and linebackers probably have to be rated more on that than their stats.
- Joshua Garnett has almost dropped out of the first round. And now Cody Whitehair from Kansas State is rocketing up the boards and will probably overtake Garnett as the top guard in the draft. It’s amazing how far players can drop. Last year I had Gerod Holliman a late first round choice in my first mock. He ended up not being drafted at all.
- Despite Connor Cook’s poor showing at the combine, I am positive the Denver Broncos will not wait on picking a quarterback. Poor Brock Osweiler. That meme of him trying to come into the game last season was hilarious and sad all at the same time. And now he may not get his shot to be more than a one-year starter (unless he brings Denver back to the Super Bowl…then we’d be looking at a good old-fashioned quarterback controversy).
Very few other big movements on the board. I am hoping for my next edition of the mock draft that I will include second rounders. Don’t quote me on that but I will make it happen somehow.
I am already hating this dead period for football. I’m in withdrawal dammit! Hopefully the days until the draft go quickly at least so that I can preserve some semblance of my sanity. Enjoy the wintery weather (if that’s what you like) because by this time next week all that fluffy white stuff will be long gone, replaced with muck and shit all over the ground. Gross.