So the first set of bowl games have come upon us and there have been a couple of awesome games and others that were much, much worse. Here’s a bit of a recap:
New Mexico Bowl
- What I predicted: Washington State 45 Colorado State 44
- What happened: Colorado State 48 Washington State 45
- Holy shit I got Wazzu’s points exactly correct! Too bad they had one of the worst collapses in the history of any bowl game. Why Mike Leach figured that with three minutes left in the fourth with a 15 point lead they should play like they are running a two-minute-drill. To start, they fumble on a QB sneak which is overturned, then they run the ball again and the same damn Rams player strips the ball, this time legit. For a team that throws the ball about 70 times a game, I would have just kept throwing the ball. I digress. The Rams tie it up, get the two. Then the Cougs fumble the kickoff! Are you kidding me? A 41-yard field goal ends it in crazy fashion. Not a good start to my NCAA pool.
Las Vegas Bowl
- What I predicted: Fresno State 30 USC 24
- What happened: USC fucking destroyed Fresno State 45-20
- I never thought that USC would come out of the gates like that. After the first quarter, I figured the game was over…and it was. They don’t miss Coach O so much it seems and Steve Sarkisian could be in for a plum job if this team plays like this next year. As for the Bulldogs, this shows the reason why many would have picked Northern Illinois over them even if both teams had been undefeated. They had a WEAK schedule and it showed in this one. No match for a team that was probably the 5th best Pac-12 team this season.
Idaho Potato Bowl
- What I predicted: Buffalo 33 San Diego State
- What happened: The complete opposite (49-24 SDSU)
- Holy crap did the Bulls look bad in this one. Then again, Adam Muema looked like Marshall Faulk in this one, running roughshod over the hapless Bulls defense, the same defense that is anchored by sure-fire top 10 pick Khalil Mack. Mack looked good but not dominant so it will be interesting to see if anyone passes him in the draft rankings throughout bowl season. By halftime, another bowl game that was already over. What would the next one have in store…
New Orleans Bowl
- What I predicted: UL-Lafayette 28 Tulane 16
- What happened: UL-Lafayette 24 Tulane 21
- This was a fantastic end to the first night of bowl season. A packed house at the Superdome watched a surprisingly good game. Early on it looked like Tulane was going to be beaten badly like an overmatched UFC fighter. Slowly they came back and I thought they would complete the comeback. They came up short against one of the best coached teams in all of college football. Also, Joe Montana’s wife still looks smoking hot! Good job there Joe.
Beef O’Brady’s Bowl
- What I predicted: East Carolina 40 Ohio 6
- What happened: East Carolina 37 Ohio 20
- The entire game it just looked like the Pirates were toying with the Bobcats in this one. That at some point they would run away with this one. It took a bit of time but they did just that. East Carolina just had too many weapons on offense and the defense was good enough to stop Mickey Tettleton’s kid and his roommate running back. Amazing to think that this is North Carolina’s second best team this season behind Duke.
- What I predicted: Oregon State 30 Boise State 27 (OT) (I even put in the overtime)
- What happened: Oregon State 38 Boise State 23
- To be honest, if you just saw the score you would think it was close. It wasn’t. Not even close to being close. That’s how dominating the Beavers were in this one. The best two points of this telecast were easy ones: 1) when Levy, Mad Mark May, and Slobbering Lou are on the phone with new Broncos head coach Bryan Harsin and Oregon State gets a scoop n’ score. I actually laughed out loud at that one. 2) at the end when some OSU player was signing some chick’s Beavers jersey. It looked like that was all she was wearing. Classy.
Alright, 6 down. I am 3-3 so far. I have a feeling I might be able to lose 1 or 2 more and still win the bowl pool but anything worse than that and I am eliminated. Hopefully the next stretch of games will be better.