And I am serious about that. No matter what anyone might say, outside of The Play (THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!), this is the craziest ending in FBS history ever. Partly due to the sheer absurdity of the final 45 seconds to begin with and partly due to the stakes of this game. Bama was going for history, could have locked down not only a chance for an unprecedented third straight championship but a spot for AJ McCarron as a Heisman frontrunner. Katherine Webb’s boyfriend might still have put himself in the Heisman race but Bama’s national title hopes went down for the KO leaving Evil Saban to wonder what might have been. I am guessing he has had trouble sleeping since then.
Notes and Shit and Crap and Other Stuff that isn’t Iron Bowl related
Yes other things happened other than the Iron Bowl. I will try and remember them since that ending is still etched in my brain (and the hilarious video of fan reactions):
- How about the balls on Dan Mullen Thursday night? Going for it on 4th-and-short in overtime with an injured QB? Unreal. Mississippi State is going to be fun to watch with that type of coaching and execution.
- It’s too bad Jordan Lynch plays for Northern Illinois. Sets the QB single-game rushing record (again) and no one really notices. If he was playing for a BCS school, the Heisman race would be over, Jameis Winston or not.
- My how Texas Tech has fallen since their hot start. Now they look like the middle-of-the-road Big XII team we have grown to know.
- Marshall destroyed East Carolina to win the C-USA East. My guess is they should do the same to Rice this Saturday to win a spot in the Liberty Bowl.
- How about Akron? Somehow Terry Bowden willed this team to five wins. They were an incomplete pass short against Michigan of bowl-eligibility this year. Considering they were one of the worst FBS teams over the past few years, it was nice to see.
- Bowling Green showed that they should be considered a formidable foe for Northern Illinois and that the Huskies are not shoo-ins for the BCS Buster spot. Buffalo wasn’t really close in this one but Khalil Mack is the real deal and some NFL team will be happy to pick him in the draft.
- Fresno State was finally exposed for their absolutely atrocious defense. Yeah Derek Carr can whip the ball all over the field but at some point, they have to stop the other team. They couldn’t stop San Jose State’s David Fales on Friday and it potentially cost them (and the conference) a ton of money.
- Considering Oregon barely beat Oregon State in the Civil War, who becomes the at-large team in the BCS if NIU blows a tire in the MAC Championship? Alabama pretty much has one at-large spot down and if NIU wins, there goes the other one (as UCF is automatically in).
- Florida State looks like they will be a heavy favourite against Duke AND against Ohio State if things work out. The Buckeyes look shaky whereas the Noles have looked awesome all year. If OSU struggles and either Auburn or Missouri destroys the other, will the voters still put an undefeated OSU in the title game?
- Bizarro World update: David Cutcliffe’s Duke Blue Devils are in the ACC Championship, bascially at home. It should be a massive crowd watching to see if the Devils can keep Cinderella’s slipper on one more time.
- Hey Southern Miss actually won a game after 23 losses in a row. Yeah they miss Larry Fedora badly.
- UCF is quickly becoming a big-time team, North Texas stunned everyone in their first C-USA season and now South Alabama is one upset from being bowl-eligible. Goes to show you how things can turn around for smaller programs.
- Does Coach O deserve the job now? If the Trojans had beaten UCLA they would have announced it the next day. Now it looks like they want either Chris Pedersen, James Franklin, or perhaps Jack Del Rio. Coach O needs to move on and become a coordinator elsewhere as he deserves a top-tier coordinator job.
Updated Bowl Predictions
Finally we can say that bowl predictions are coming closer to fruition with one week left in the regular season. Three schools (BYU, Navy, and UL-Lafayette) have accepted bowl bids. Expect a few more to accept this week. Here’s the predictions:
|New Mexico Bowl||Oregon State||Boise State|
|Las Vegas Bowl||USC||Fresno State|
|Idaho Potato Bowl||UNLV||Buffalo|
|New Orleans Bowl||UL-Lafayette*||Tulane|
|Beef O’Brady’s Bowl||Western Kentucky||Middle Tennessee|
|Hawaii Bowl||San Jose State||East Carolina|
|Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl||Pittsburgh||Bowling Green|
|Poinsettia Bowl||San Diego State||North Carolina|
|Military Bowl||Maryland||North Texas|
|Texas Bowl||Michigan||Texas Tech|
|Fight Hunger Bowl||Washington||BYU*|
|Pinstripe Bowl||Notre Dame||Rutgers|
|Belk Bowl||Georgia Tech||Cincinnati|
|Russell Athletic Bowl||Miami||Louisville|
|Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl||Minnesota||Oklahoma|
|Armed Forces Bowl||Utah State||Navy*|
|Music City Bowl||Vanderbilt||Syracuse|
|Holiday Bowl||Kansas State||UCLA|
|AdvoCare Bowl||Washington State||Boston College|
|Sun Bowl||Arizona State||Virginia Tech|
|Liberty Bowl||Ole Miss||Marshall|
|Heart of Dallas Bowl||Arizona||Rice|
|Capital One Bowl||South Carolina||Wisconsin|
|Rose Bowl||Michigan State||Stanford|
|Fiesta Bowl||Oklahoma State||Northern Illinois|
|Cotton Bowl||Texas A&M||Baylor|
|BBVA Compass Bowl||Mississippi State||Houston|
|GoDaddy Bowl||Ball State||Arkansas State*|
|BCS National Championship||Florida State||Ohio State|
The BCS Championship isn’t a shoo-in anymore. Auburn and Missouri both look like they deserve it more than Ohio State. But how do you leave an undefeated Big Ten champ out when there are no other undefeated BCS teams? That might be too controversial even for the BCS. I expect some bowl committees to take in-state teams before teams that may be higher up in the standings, like in the Cotton Bowl’s case. Taking Texas A&M and Gianni Futbol’s last collegiate game will probably be too good to pass up despite the fact LSU and even Georgia would be ahead of them in the pecking order. Also, the MAC and Sun Belt may end up being losers in this bowl season as I see both conferences having three teams staying home for the holidays each.
As for next week’s sked, it starts Thursday night with the now-not-so-important Keg of Nails match pitting Louisville against Cincinnati. Then the conference championships start the next night with the MAC title game. I will have more TV schedule information up perhaps even tomorrow as it looks like games are being locked down a bit quicker this time around (however I will believe it when I see it, as in I don’t trust Bell or Rogers to get schedules up quickly in the best of times).
Update: Arkansas State just accepted a bid to the GoDaddy Bowl so the bids are starting to go as I figured they would. Also, I had thought that the Big XII had a tie-in to the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Now I am seeing some places saying that Conference USA has a tie-in. I have to dig deeper but I was sure it was a Big XII bowl but I may be wrong on this one. It would change quite a few of my predictions though.
Update #2: Changed the bowl bids around. Forgot to include Notre Dame and have confirmed Conference USA as the tie-in for the Heart of Dallas Bowl.