They were so close. Not in the game against Oklahoma State. That wasn’t close from about the halfway mark of the second quarter. I’m just saying in general. They were close. It would be like Duke playing for the ACC Championship….oh wait.
Recap News and Notes and Stuff and Things
- So now that Baylor has fallen from the ranks of the undefeated, do many fair weather college football fans hitch a ride on the Blue Devil bandwagon? Duke made it look a lot tougher against Wake Forest than it had to be. But didn’t you just have that feeling that somehow, some way, they would pull it out in the end?
- Now all we need is for Ohio State to lose to Michigan in The Game and then we will avoid controversy…as long as Alabama beats both Auburn and the SEC East champ and Florida State doesn’t blow a tire against Florida and beats (probably) Duke for the ACC crown. Still a lot of football to play fans.
- So now Bowling Green and Buffalo play for the MAC East crown at the Ralph. It would be great to see at least 30,000 take in that one as it should be a dandy.
- Rice does its job (barely) against “fans all on one side” UAB. Then they watch, with glee, as North Texas loses to UTSA! Now, if Rice wins next weekend against Tulane, they go to face either Marshall or East Carolina. If they lose, the mother of all tiebreakers could happen if UTSA and North Texas both win their last games.
- UCF has basically clinched the American and no one seems to care. They may care if they show up at a BCS bowl and put a beating on a better team, a la Louisville last year.
- UNLV is bowl-eligible! If that doesn’t tell you it’s been a bit of a crazy college football season then I don’t know what does.
- So now Bedlam becomes a massive game two weeks from now. And Texas-Baylor is now a background game of sorts. And to think, two weeks ago most of us would have said the opposite.
- After some of the outrageous offensive outputs this past weekend against very inferior teams, it was so nice to watch Georgia Southern beat Florida. And next year, that would count as an FBS game as the Eagles join the Sun Belt. Poor Idaho. I think they will be the doormat even in that conference with all their upheaval.
- Well, now Oregon probably won’t go to the BCS. They’ve put Stanford back in the Pac-12 title game. And Washington State is bowl-eligible. Yes the Pac-12 North is almost as crazy as the Pac-12 South.
- OK we can finally put to rest the Gianni Futbol in the BCS crap. And we can finally crown Consensual Jameis as the second straight freshman Heisman winner.
- Just saw the highlights of the Boston College-Maryland game. Holy crap now that was a final six minutes of insanity. Oh and Andre Williams is an absolute beast. Just sayin.
- Finally, for anyone who missed it, Boise State loses to San Diego State. This basically keeps the Broncos out of the Mountain West title game and puts Utah State in. It also gives Fresno State a better chance at getting that final at-large BCS berth.
Alright, now we can start really objectively looking at bowl predictions. Especially now that a few teams have blown their chance at bowl-eligibility.
|New Mexico Bowl||Oregon State||UNLV|
|Las Vegas Bowl||UCLA||Utah State|
|Idaho Potato Bowl||Western Kentucky||Ball State|
|New Orleans Bowl||UL-Lafayette||Tulane|
|Beef O’Brady’s Bowl||Rutgers||Marshall|
|Hawaii Bowl||Colorado State||Rice|
|Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl||North Texas||Bowling Green|
|Poinsettia Bowl||San Diego State||Buffalo|
|Military Bowl||Maryland||Middle Tennessee|
|Fight Hunger Bowl||Washington||BYU*|
|Belk Bowl||Boston College||Cincinnati|
|Russell Athletic Bowl||Miami||Louisville|
|Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl||Iowa||Kansas State|
|Armed Forces Bowl||Boise State||Navy*|
|Music City Bowl||Vanderbilt||Georgia Tech|
|Holiday Bowl||Texas Tech||Arizona State|
|AdvoCare Bowl||Notre Dame||North Carolina|
|Sun Bowl||USC||Virginia Tech|
|Liberty Bowl||Arizona||East Carolina|
|Chick-fil-A Bowl||Texas A&M||Duke|
|Heart of Dallas Bowl||Michigan||Washington State|
|Capital One Bowl||Auburn||Wisconsin|
|Outback Bowl||South Carolina||Michigan State|
|Rose Bowl||Ohio State||Stanford|
|Fiesta Bowl||Oklahoma State||Fresno State|
|BBVA Compass Bowl||Ole Miss||Houston|
|GoDaddy Bowl||Northern Illinois||Arkansas State|
|BCS National Championship||Alabama||Florida State|
Easy at the top. Still Bama-FSU until someone beats either (which still could happen). Baylor should beat Texas and find themselves just ahead of a few other one-loss and two-loss teams to grab a spot in the Sugar against former Big XII foe Missouri. Again, UCF gets an automatic in and will take on the ACC’s second choice, Clemson who will also be high enough to be in the BCS. They have to beat South Carolina to stay in that spot though. Fresno State will narrowly beat out Northern Illinois for the final ever BCS buster spot. As for teams that still have to win to earn their spots, expect SMU, Rutgers, Colorado State, and Troy will get the job done over the next two weeks. Still, six teams would be on the outside looking in, which is why we will see EVEN MORE BOWLS next year. I still believe they need to cut down on the individual bowl tie-ins as there could be some somewhat unwatchable matchups come December that could be avoided with better flexibility.
The week 14 schedule starts Tuesday as Northern Illinois will hope to clinch an undefeated regular season against Western Michigan. That game will be on the specialty packs. American Thanksgiving night will see Ole Miss try to kill Mississippi State’s bowl hopes in their annual Egg Bowl game on TSN2. Texas hosts Texas Tech on SN360. Friday’s schedule should be huge as will Saturday’s. Those schedules will come up later in the week (hopefully by Wednesday afternoon).