And I could go on and on, kind of like the Seminole offense against, well, damn near everyone.
Recap Notes and Stuff
- If Northern Illinois didn’t show what they were made of against Ball State, I don’t know what else they can do in the MAC. Maybe it’s time for them to move up to Conference USA.
- The Fighting Sabans didn’t look exactly like world-beaters against Mississippi State. This could pose problems for the most anticipated Iron Bowl possibly ever….and of course we get Verne and Gary to tell us all about it.
- Holy crap was that ever an amazing catch in the UCF-Temple game. And to think, this team looked very good against Louisville but could barely beat Temple.
- Did Wisconsin put a beating on the Hoosiers or what? They did exactly what Ohio State didn’t do against Illinois. And people wonder why they won’t get into the national championship even with a perfect record. Speaking of perfect records…
- And Baylor keeps rolling. The most exciting team in America! (don’t tell Jameis Winston) is three wins away from at least the Fiesta Bowl. But the whole conference is on the line in Stillwater this coming Saturday. Game of the week is an understatement for this one as the Pokes could ruin Baylor’s improbable run. Speaking of improbable runs…
- Holy Cutcliffe Batman! Duke is 8-2. DUKE. IS. EIGHT. AND. TWO. They beat Wake and the Heels and they are off to the ACC Championship. This is huge. And really exciting. Congratulations to the Blue Devils. And congrats should also go to…
- …the Minnesota Golden Gophers. So when does Tracy Claeys start getting calls for head coaching jobs? Same goes for UL-Lafayette’s Mark Hudspeth, Dan McCarney out of North Texas, and of course everyone’s favourite Cajun interim head coach, Eh Ororon (translation: Ed Orgeron).
- Boston College is bowl eligible and Andre Williams has gone (college) beast mode the last four weeks. Almost 1000 yards in those games. I can see the Eagles being a very scary team next year in the ACC.
- I knew I should have pegged Southern Miss for another winless season! Things have gone from horrible to fucking catastrophic in Hattiesburg. They wouldn’t be competitive in the FCS the way they’re playing.
- Of course I have to get to the amazing finish on the plains. Auburn has made the Iron Bowl more than just relevant in two weeks. Then again, those three days are starting to look like a college football fan’s dreams. So many huge games in three short days.
- Finally, I think it’s about time to give Michigan State its due. They are really good and after watching the highlights of them running over Nebraska, Ohio State better be ready because their slim chances at going to the national championship could be ruined by Mark D’Antonio and the Spartans.
Somewhat too early bowl projections
It is getting to that time where teams are accepting bids. OK it’s just BYU and Navy but it has started. So without further adieu, updated bowl projections:
|New Mexico Bowl||Washington State||Colorado State|
|Las Vegas Bowl||Oregon State||Boise State|
|Idaho Potato Bowl||Troy||Bowling Green|
|New Orleans Bowl||UL-Lafayette||Tulane|
|Beef O’Brady’s Bowl||Toledo||Marshall|
|Hawaii Bowl||UNLV||North Texas|
|Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl||ULM||Ball State|
|Poinsettia Bowl||San Diego State||Florida Atlantic|
|Texas Bowl||Michigan||Texas Tech|
|Fight Hunger Bowl||Washington||BYU*|
|Belk Bowl||North Carolina||Cincinnati|
|Russell Athletic Bowl||Boston College||Louisville|
|Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl||Nebraska||Oklahoma|
|Armed Forces Bowl||Utah State||Navy*|
|Music City Bowl||LSU||Georgia Tech|
|Alamo Bowl||Oklahoma State||UCLA|
|Holiday Bowl||Kansas State||USC|
|AdvoCare Bowl||UTSA||Virginia Tech|
|Sun Bowl||Arizona State||Syracuse|
|Liberty Bowl||Vanderbilt||East Carolina|
|Gator Bowl||Ole Miss||Minnesota|
|Heart of Dallas Bowl||Iowa||Arizona|
|Capital One Bowl||Missouri||Michigan State|
|Outback Bowl||South Carolina||Wisconsin|
|Rose Bowl||Ohio State||Oregon|
|Fiesta Bowl||Baylor||Fresno State|
|Cotton Bowl||Texas A&M||Texas|
|BBVA Compass Bowl||Middle Tennessee||Houston|
|GoDaddy Bowl||Northern Illinois||Arkansas State|
|BCS National Championship||Alabama||Florida State|
Unless something big happens (*cough*Iron Bowl loss*cough), Bama and the Noles have a date in Pasadena in about seven weeks. A lot of spots should be open as conferences can’t fill all their bowl bids. I am starting to become a bit of an advocate on cutting down on the amount of bowl tie-ins a conference can have and having more at-large bids available. It could lead to much better matchups and more teams playing closer to home for bowl games which should boost attendance. This coming week might not clear the picture up much but American Thanksgiving should clear it up plenty as there are a ton of huge games. I should have some schedule information up by Wednesday night but then again, who knows when it comes to Rogers and Bell and their specialty pack scheduling info.